Chicken and mushrooms are like a match made in heaven. I love to pair these two hero ingredients and today I did just that in my Chicken Stroganoff recipe here.
I have ordered chicken Stroganoff in restaurants many a times as it’s one of my all-time favorite dishes to try when outside. So when I bought mushrooms and chicken at a super market the other day, I thought of making just that.
It is usually paired with parsley rice but I served it with a side of toasted Panini bread and a fresh salad to complete the meal. Sour cream is one of the main ingredients in Chicken Strognoff but since it’s not available in all super markets I have used cream and curd combination which works perfectly well as well.
This is a must try for people who are looking to enjoy a fine dining experience at home without
having to spend a lot of time in the kitchen.
Hope you like the recipe! Happy Cooking!
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
- Chicken breast boneless fillets – 250 gms
- Onion, finely chopped – 1 Medium
- Garlic cloves, crushed - 2
- Mushrooms, sliced – 100 gms
- Paprika powder – 1 tsp
- White pepper powder – 1 tsp
- Worcestershire sauce – 1 tbsp (If unavailable, replace with Mustard Sauce)
- Dried Thyme – 1 tsp (optional)
- Refined Flour – 2 tsp
- Water – 1 cup
- Cream – 1/2 cup
- Curd – 1/2 cup
- Salt to taste
- Olive oil – 3 tbsp
- Butter – 1 tbsp
- Heat 2 tbsp olive oil in a deep sauce pan. Add onion and sauté until translucent.
- Now add the garlic and mushrooms. Sauté mushrooms until soft. Add paprika, pepper powder, salt, thyme, and flour and sauté for a minute.
- Now add the water and let it come to a boil. Mix curd and cream to make sour cream and add it to the gravy. Let it come to a boil and simmer until the gravy is thickened. Finish with Worcestershire sauce.
- Score the chicken breast fillets with a knife for even cooking. In a separate pan, take a tbsp of olive oil and cook chicken breast fillets covered on low heat for about 3-4 minutes or until done. Now remove the water content from the pan (you can add it to the Stroganoff gravy) and sear the chicken on high heat with a tbsp of butter until the chicken browns.
- Serve the pan seared chicken topped with stroganoff gravy. I served chicken Stroganoff with a side of Panini bread and a quick Salad.